For those of you that didn't know - we used to have a dog. Her name was Sadie. Lab mix - black.... She was the sweetest dog in the world. We got her from the humane society - she house trained quickly and my boys fell in love with her. We took her on walks - or more like she dragged us...... she loved to chew everything. We lost countless pairs of shoes to her "teething." Then came the news that we were going to move in with my parents for a little while and my mom (fully knowing about Sadie's need to chew shoes) said we couldn't have her at her house. So we found her a new home..... The boys always talk about her like we are going to go back to get her someday.... not going to happen. Just today - after getting home from school, my little Jace decided to make a little house out of boxes. Then Kenny and Preston decided they wanted to get boxes and make little houses for a dog. Then comes the questioning.... when can we get a dog? Like next week? How old will I be? Can we go to the pet store today? Then come the promises... I'll keep my shoes in my room. I will pick my toys up every day. I will scoop the poop. I promise - I will definitely scoop the poop. Those of you - when your child says this do not believe them. They make all sorts of promises. Anything for a promise of a dog.
Preston is definitely my most persistent child...... He will ask over and over and over again. Trying to get me to give in. I must confess - I have given in many times. But I now know that If I just keep saying no and then saying "Does mommy change her mind after I say no? " They eventually walk off. Preston will keep coming back and nagging more..... so finally I say" I will let you buy a dog when you save $900. You may think that is too much for a dog - but I had already explained to him that there were dogs that some people just give away for free. I was trying to tell him that it wasn't about how much money it was going to cost = it was that I didn't want a dog... right now. So after I tell him about the $900 - he runs off and tells Jace that he has to sleep in his bed every night. We just recently got him out of our bed - he goes in cycles in our bed then out. So I have told him that if he sleeps in his bed I will give him a quarter. After about 2 weeks I decided to change it to a dime. It's still as exciting to him. So back to my dog story.... Preston runs off and says Jace you have to sleep in your bed every night so you can get a dime. Yes - I know.... at that rate he will be on his own before he gets $900.
Then Preston comes in my room - after realizing this is going to take forever. He's trying to talk me down to $10. All I have to say is - that's not going to happen.
I hope you had a good laugh...... I sure do most days. Little boys just say whatever they are thinking.
1 comment:
hey deb--i'm sending donations for Preston...just kidding! That's so funny! Ya gotta love the things kids say! :) can't wait to see you @ Christmas!
Post a Comment