Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fun Run Fundraiser





My kids participated in this "Boosterthon Fun Run" at their school. They had so much fun running and all. I just wanted to vent some things out on my blog to other mothers that maybe do or do not share my frustrations.



I love my kids school. The teachers are there to educate. Princlpals to discipline. Etc, Etc, They have this darn Fundrasing Committee at the school. I am sure that all schools have these as well but let me tell you how annoying and irritating that this group is. We have fundrasers for everything.
Let me list all the fundrasers that we have.
1. Pizza night at Stevie-B's
2. Monkey Joe's (play place for the kids)
3. Bar-B-Cutie (resturant)
4. El Cotija's (resturant)
5. Lollipop's on Friday in the Atrium (I've heard rumor that part of this money goes to another teacher to fund her wedding)
6. Boosterthon Fun Run
7. Coke sales (they go buy cases of Cokes Dr. P's and sell them for $20.
8. magizine sales
9. there's more - we just haven't done them yet... and it's only Oct.
They do 1-4 at least once a month. I mostly want to concentrate on #6. We are very much enemies. This was our first year here starting at this school. Three weeks into school they announce they are going to have this "fun run." Keep in mind I am already tapped out from just sending my kids back to school (backpacks, lunchboxes, new clothes)
These ADHD (not really - I just think so) college kids from Athens GA (they actually run this fundraiser) come in to the school pumping my kids up and saying things like if you raise "x" amount of dollars per lap you get to win "x" prize. So just for running the fun run you get a free t-shirt. The list goes as follows.
$1 per LAP- wristband
$3 per LAP- Beachball
$5 per LAP - watch
$7 per LAP - football
$20 per LAP - razor scooter
$35 per LAP - IPOD shuffle
Let me tell you what - these ADHD guys were in my kids school every day filling their little heads full of it. Not to mention that Preston's teacher told them they would get into the treasure chest if they came to school the very next day with 3 pledges. Not only is he thinking he wants the scooter but he's totally getting into the treasure chest. So they all come home and are all like "we have to get three pledges" - we'll go to these neighbors (complete strangers) we'll stop random people on ths street...... blah blah blah. If you know me at all..... you know there are a few things that I really dislike. They are as follows: smashed bread (people call me a Bread Natzi) and Fundraisers. I know it's for somewhat a good cause - but they still dirve me nuts. Anyways - back to my story. My kids all have their eye on the Razor scooter............. that's $20 per lap. Not just $20 ---- no it's per lap. The Flyer states that most children run 25-30 laps. Let's see the math .... $500-$600. So what did I do?
Knowing that Preston just had to have 3 pledges I made up fake pledges for my family and relatives. I put down a $1 flat pledge from mommy. That seemed to suffice until around 6:00 when Eric got home.... Then they were tring to figure out how to get him to pledge as well.
That evening we were heading off to bed and Preston keeps reminding me that I need to call Grandma and Uncle Chris and etc. Anyways to make my very long story short - I filled out flat $1 donations in my brother and my mom's name. At 3:00 AM =Preston comes in my room and thanks me and wakes his brothers up as well. He was very worried I wouldn't call (for fake) my brother and mom.
I did go and watch the run their little hearts out. Jace ran 32 laps, Preston 31 and Kenny did 25. I did finally convince them if they just forgot about the fun run I would buy them a scooter - and I did. I hope they had a fun time running. I have such fond memories of the ADHD guys.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

ok--love love LOVE what you have done with your blog!! love the pic & the tidbit about you! good job! :)

Elise said...

Ugh! that is annoying. Braiden's teacher won't even send home the book orders because the parents complain. I hate asking other people to buy stuff they don't really want. Anyway, the blog looks great!!